Sunday, March 26, 2017

The Great Owl of Tecolote Canyon

During the San Diego Bird Festival, I had an experience that changed my life (is that cheesy enough?). I went to the Bird Festival to attend a workshop where one could learn how to bird by ear (that is to recognize bird songs). I learned a lot, like the Eurasian Collared Dove song. It is a cooing that has a quarter note-half note- quarter note kind of a beat.That was interesting, but we had heard of a Great Horned Owl mother in a nest that resides in Tecolote Canyon when we took the bus to go to the canyon to practice birding by ear. My mom and I really wanted to see the owl. So after about an hour of birding by ear, we slipped off into the night (just kidding, it was day first of all, and also, we got permission to join another group going to see the owl).

In a small grove of trees there she was sitting in her slightly disheveled nest alone, in solitude. It was Feb 26th and the owlets were probably not born yet. She was beautiful with ear tufts that you expect in a typical owl. Her eyes were judgemental as she stared into my soul.

Ever since then, my mom and I have been coming to visit the owl almost every week. The last two weeks we managed to see the owlets and man were they huge. Then again, what would you expect from a Great Horned Owl, tiny little buggers? No. They were about just as judgemental as their mothers.
March 5th

These are some of the pictures of the owl I took. They were way better than the pictures of a certain person who accompanied me whose name I shall not mention (cough cough my cough mom cough).


This was my first picture of the owl. Her owlets were just born.


March 19th
This was my second picture of the owl. Her owlets have slightly grown. However, the lighting was not the best.









The owlet is the small lump on the mother's right.
March 19th

March 26th












This was my most recent picture of the owl family. This one was my best. The owlets were more active and so was the owl. The owlets are the clearly defined gray blobs in front of dear mommy (owl mommy; my mom would probably not want wild owlets right in front of her) sometimes moving their heads.



I don't know "owl" long (for how long. Ha ha ha) it will take for the owlets to fledge but I will observe and find out. Stay tuned for more owl post! Thank you and good night! ( It might probably be day when you read this but who cares!)

6 comments:

  1. Owl long and how long.. brilliant play with words. If possible record the sound of these owls next time and share it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent description of the owl and your perception of the experience!! Beautiful writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you got hooked! It's a great way to be outdoors with people you like and learn new things! Have fun and happy birding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that you 'crashed' my walk and that the simple pleasure of observing a simple act of nature, that of an Owl on her nest, got you hooked. May you always find wonder and joy in the simple and profound that is our natural world. As for the owlets expect them to leave the nest in about 4 weeks. Hope I'll see you again at one of my monthly walks- Anitra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hellow(l) cheekiness :-) (judging pics taken by your mother!) -- no wonder the mommy owl and her owlets gave you judgemental looks :P How(l) about that!

    Hope you dont scowl at this imitation of style but I couldnt contro(w)l myself :-)

    loved reading the post and looking at the pics -- when are you going to come to this side of the planet to listen to the birds here?? hoping yowl teach V (and v likely her parents) a few things about birding!
    keep up the writing, capturing and love of the outdoors -- gotta give some credit here to she-who-will-not-be-named..lots of love

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved reading this...great writing...!!

    ReplyDelete

The Whale Tails - Poem

I swear, the universe is trying to tell me I have too many earrings. I'd lost one, quite recently, a pair I'd gotten on a Disney cru...